The UC Office of the President is seeking student ambassadors to engage more students in advocacy through the UC Advocacy Network (UCAN).
The UC Advocacy Network (UCAN) is a vibrant community that works to build public and legislative support for UC to help ensure that state and federal legislators prioritize funding and advance beneficial policies for UC and its students. From pressing lawmakers for more financial aid and increased mental health services to securing more money to update classrooms and labs, ambassadors play a major role in shaping policies that directly impact students. Ambassadors will gain resume-building experience in public affairs and civic engagement, learn how UC advances its policies, and get the chance to meet directly with legislators and/or legislative staff.
UCAN Student Ambassadors will:
- Recruit students on campus to join the UC Advocacy Network.
- Qualified ambassadors may attend a budget advocacy day in Sacramento to testify at a budget hearing and meet directly with legislators and staff.*
- Work with systemwide and campus-wide advocacy and alumni teams to understand how legislation and the state budget impact the UC system.
- Activate students to participate in state and federal campaigns.
- Share outreach strategies and best practices with other ambassadors
Applications are open until October 20, 2019 and the program is open to undergraduate, graduate, and professional students.
Students may apply here: https://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/support-uc/ucan/student-ambassadors/application