The revised UC Davis General Education (GE) requirements became effective during the fall quarter 2011. The GE objectives within the mission of UC Davis as a public university are:
- Educate students to become thoughful, civically engaged participants of society.
- Equip students to consider matters requiring a critical understanding of science, history, social reactions, and global forces, among other things.
- Communicate ideas effectively through written, spoken and visual means.
- Understand that ideas have consequences and that we all have the responsibility to consider those consequences.
- Develop a cosmopolitan rather than a parochial view of the world.