Chancellor's Committee on Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Intersex, and Asexual Communities (CCLGBTQIA)
- The Chancellor’s Committee on LGBTQIA+ Communities (CCLGBTQIA+) is committed to advancing equity, building intersectional coalitions, fostering the health and well-being of our communities, and creating a more inclusive campus environment.
- The committee advocates to the Chancellor and senior administrators on the needs and concerns of UC Davis LGBTQIA+ communities, and strives to support our communities with relevant resources, connection to community, and networking opportunities.
- Promote the general welfare of the LGBTQIA+ staff, faculty and students at the University of California, Davis.
- Advise on campus climate, changing needs of campus LGBTQIA+ communities, and emerging populations and trends.
- Review campus and UC system policies, procedures, and practices that affect employment, academic status, and quality of life for LGBTQIA+ communities, and offer recommendations/advocate for change.
- Build intersectional coalitions with committees and constituents to advance efforts toward equity, diversity and inclusion within the UC Davis and UC Davis Health campuses community partnerships.
- Foster an affirming and welcoming environment for LGBTQIA+ staff, faculty and students.
- Provide relevant resources, information, and networks of support to our LGBTQIA+ communities.
The Chancellor’s Committee on LGBTQIA+ Communities was formed in the early 1990s under Chancellor Ted Hullar, at the request of UCD staff and faculty who pointed out inequities in partner benefits and promotion processes, along with a need for greater community visibility on campus. Earlier, more informal task forces had been working to address HIV/AIDS and LGB issues on campus, and the first members of the Chancellor’s Committee were drawn from these groups. Joy Fergoda, Women’s Resources Center Librarian, was a founding member and the first committee chair.
The committee’s earliest activities were to advocate for domestic partner benefits at UCD and across the UC campuses, to establish a campus LGBT Resource Center, to engage and collaborate with LGBT groups on other campuses, and to create programming and materials to promote visibility on campus and in the region. The LGBTQIA Resource Center was established in the mid 1990s, with Allison Subasic— a founding member of the Chancellor’s Committee and later a committee chair— as the first director.
Committee activities in the late 1990s and early 2000s emphasized support of the Resource Center, along with a volunteer Speaker’s Bureau, which made LGBT community members and allies available for visits in UCD classes, local schools and other settings. After a period of relative dormancy, the Committee was reconstituted as an employee resource group in 2017, at the initiative of the Staff Diversity Administrative Advisory Committee, to assess and address the current needs of LGBTQIA+ communities at UCD.
Membership and By-Laws
- We are a staff, faculty and student organization open to all UC Davis affiliates who share an interest in promoting campus LGBTQIA+ initiatives and the well-being of LGBTQIA+ members of the UC Davis and UC Davis Health campus.
Meetings and Events
- All of our meetings and events can be found on the LGBTQIA+ Staff Committees shared calendar on Outlook. Just click “Add Calendar” on Calendar, and search for LGBTQIA+ Staff Committees!
- General Meetings: 4th Fridays at 1:00pm
- Monthly Social Hours: 3rd Wednesdays at 5:00pm
- To subscribe to our listserv:
1. Send a message to email@example.com from the address you want to subscribe to the list;
2. In the subject line of your message, type in: subscribe cclgbtqia FirstName LastName (indicate your own first name and last name);
3. Leave the message body blank;
4. You will then receive a confirmation email.
- Outlook Calendar: All of our meetings and events can be found on the LGBTQIA+ Staff Committees shared calendar on Outlook. Just click “Add Calendar” on Calendar, and search for LGBTQIA+ Staff Committees!
- Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- To subscribe to our listserv: