Faculty Retention and Inclusive Excellence Networks—Designing Solutions (FRIENDS)
A Project Funded through the University of California’s Advancing Faculty Diversity Improved Climate and Retention Program and led by the UC Davis Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, in collaboration with UC Davis Academic Affairs
Background and Context:
Campus leaders at all levels recognize that some of the most important conditions affecting achievement of UC Davis faculty are the ways they think and feel about such aspects of their employment as work expectations, availability of resources for teaching and research, recognition and reward, opportunities for advancement and professional development, and campus commitment to equity, inclusion and diversity. For faculty from underrepresented and/or marginalized groups, the effect of structural barriers and bias may magnify the real and perceived inequities in these areas, impacting our institution’s ability to retain and build on valuable perspectives from a diverse community of faculty.
UC Davis proposes a series of Faculty Retention and Inclusive Excellence Networks—Designing Solutions (FRIENDS). In year one, Associate Professors will be invited to join working groups involved in design thinking to remove barriers for underrepresented and/or marginalized faculty to thrive in our institution. The project has three parts
- share learning from stories behind data-driven insights on faculty experiences,
- develop communities of future faculty leaders interested in issues of faculty equity, retention, and climate; and
- design innovative interventions to tackle known issues. In year two, two (or more) working groups will have the opportunity to pilot their proposed intervention.
Call for Nominations
The UC Davis Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, in collaboration with Academic Affairs, announces a call for Associate Professors to participate in a two year project to help us learn from the stories behind our data; to develop communities of future faculty leaders interested in the issues of faculty equity, retention, and climate; and to launch faculty-driven solutions for retaining excellent faculty.
Eligibility: All Associate Professors, Ladder Rank and Equivalent
- To nominate a UC Davis Associate Professor to participate in FRIENDS please complete this online form.
- Nominators will be asked to provide a few sentences describing why they are nominating the faculty member.
- Nominees will be asked to provide a link to and/or upload a curriculum vitae and their most recent Statement on Contributions to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion.
- Notification emails will be sent in January 2020.
Nominations are due December 15, 2019
Benefits of participation
- $1,000 to be placed into an academic enrichment account.
- Acknowledgment in personnel file: a letter describing how participation in this project reflects a significant contribution to diversity.
- Opportunity to frame the conversation around climate and retention for associate professors; provide solutions they want to see implemented; and lead in the implementation.
- Approximately 1-2 hours per week during Winter and Spring quarters 2020
- Mandatory Kick Off Forum (February 26, 2020)
- Ideation orientation session (March 2020)
- 6-8 working group meetings (March-May 2020)
- Project Presentation Forum (May 2020)
- Project Findings Forum (May 2021)
- Faculty participants may also be invited to participate in a more intensive second year to implement their proposed innovation or intervention.