Latinx Staff & Faculty Association
- Higher participation from LSFA General Members
- Partner with UC Davis recruitment to achieve “To Boldly Go” Goal #3
- Embrace diversity, practice inclusive excellence, and strive for equity; and make UC Davis a place of excellence for learning and working by supporting a culture that values the contributions and aspirations of all our students, staff and faculty, promotes wellness, and cultivates the open interchange of ideas
- Collaborate with other Employee Resource Groups, Student Organizations, Faculty, and Departments
- Pursue connection with Center for Chicanx and Latinx Academic Student Success
LSFA Mission & Vision
The mission of the Latinx Staff and Faculty Association (LSFA) is to provide information about the campus community and to offer professional guidance to those seeking support or career advancement.
LSFA will act as a collaborative unit and advocate for the concerns and issues at the University and Community level for staff, faculty, and students.
LSFA will act as a bridge and catalyst to support and guide Latinx identified staff and faculty members who seek to enhance and develop their professional roles and responsibilities within the University of California, Davis.
LSFA Events & Activities
LSFA Events 2020 - 2021
- Soon to be posted.
LSFA Events 2019 - 2020
- Bienvenida 9/24/2019
- Center for Chicanx Latins Academic Student Success Open House 10/3/19
- New Employee Orientations
- Meet and Greet for Mark Lopez, Chief of Staff; Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (LSFA Co-hosted this event with Lina Mendez Director of CCLASS) 11/25/19
- Principles of Community luncheon 2/25/20
- Chicanx/Latinx Leadership Summit at UC Berkeley 1/9 - 1/10/20
- Constituent/ERG Admin Advisory Breakfast 1/22/20
- Center for African Diaspora Student Success 2/27/20
- Chicanx/Latinx Virtual Graduation Celebration, 6/14/19
- Attended the monthly Asian Pacific American Systemwide Alliance Meetings
- Attended the monthly Staff Diversity Advisory Committee Meeting
- Attended the monthly Chicano/Latino Alumni Meetings
- Next Generation Reforms to Advance Campus Safety
LSFA Membership & Committees
Membership is open to any staff and faculty employee of UC Davis.
Next General Body Meeting
- Wednesday, August 19, 2020 | 12:00pm-1:00pm
- Tuesday, October 20, 2020 | 12:00pm-1:00pm
- Communication Committee
- Events Committee
- Scholarship Committee
- Fundraising Committee
LSFA Executive Board
- Chair - Carlos C. Garcia
- Over the years that Carlos C. Garcia has been at UC Davis, he has been able to experience many different organizational environments and has learned from each along the way. He, therefore, intends to contribute to LSFA through being a resource for staff who are interested in deepening their contributions to daily operations and furthering their careers at UC Davis. He will also advocate for all staff at a campus level to ensure we are always moving towards the Chancellor's Strategic Plan Goal 3.
- Ex-Officio - Roxanne Grijalva
- Roxanne Grijalva is a Transfer Advisor at the Transfer and Reentry Center. She joined LSFA because she found a community and it gave her an opportunity to network and learn from others. As the Ex-Oficio Chair, she hopes to continue LSFA's mission and expand opportunites to offer professional guidance to those seeking support or career advancement.
- Vice-Chair - Ignacio/Nacho Alarcón
- Ignacio has several responsibilities at the AB 540 & Undocumented Student Center, including campus advising+liaisoning, policy advocacy, and oversight for the Mentorship & Professional Development (MPD) Fellowship Program, the UndocuPRIDE Speakers Bureau Fellowship Program, the UndocuAlly Program for Peers (UPP), and more.
- Treasurer - Gisela Escalera
- Gisela Escalera leads assessment efforts in Student Housing and Dining Services. She is a UC Davis alumna and is passionate about mentoring youth, education, and personal development. She joined the LSFA to build community on-campus. She has found the LSFA to be a space to connect with others and find inspiration in others’ stories of perseverance and success. As a Board member, she intends to help grow the LSFA’s presence on-campus and serve the Latinx community at UC Davis.
- Secretary - Enrique Guzmán
- Enrique Guzmán is currently working with Student Housing and Dining Services as a Resident Director for the Mahogany Hawthorn Residence Halls. Originally from Compton, CA, Enrique has worked at the University of Arizona, Arizona State University and has worked as a K-12 administrator. Enrique's passions include serving underrepresented students and helping them navigate institutions of education. As the board secretary, Enrique aims to support the mission and vision of LSFA and reach many more Latinx staff and faculty at UC Davis.
- Historian - Vanessa Alvarez
- Vanessa Alvarez is an undergraduate academic advisor at the Languages and Literatures department. She is new to the UC Davis community, which is why she joined LSFA. LSFA is a special community that she can identify with and find support in many different ways. Vanessa values LSFA's mission and is excited to contribute to this community as the Historian. She aims to capture the essence of LSFA through pictures and stories to share our community with the rest of the UC Davis campus.
- Fundraising Chair - Daisey Sandoval
- Daisey Sandoval is a Financial Aid Officer at Financial Aid and Scholarships. Daisey obtained her Bachelor’s degrees in Spanish and Chicano/a Studies from UC Davis. She is currently pursuing her Master’s degree in Higher Educational Leadership at Sacramento State. Daisey joined LSFA as it is a community of empowered individuals who support one another and a great networking opportunity. As the Fundraising Chair, she plans to promote LSFA’s mission and vision to support the community.
- Outreach Chair - Jorge Mendoza
- Jorge Mendoza was born and raised in Los Angeles, CA. He served active duty in the US Air Force (AF) for 14 years and is now retired from the AF Reserve with a total of 27 years of military service. Overall, he believes in teamwork and if we all have our minds sets on goals and tasks we want to accomplish, all is possible. Jorge indicates it will be a pleasure to serve in this role and this community.